The Korova Milk Bar

Do one thing every day that scares you. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Negative ion treatment for depression

iliketoplaywithexcrement

Negative ion treatment for depression

Post by iliketoplaywithexcrement on Fri May 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Note from Russ the Bus:
    I'm posting the info on this specifically from Pubmed, because normally I would hear "negative ions" and think scam.
    I guess my next question is, how can I test this w/o buying the device...

Psychol Med. 2012 Aug;42(Cool:1605-12. doi: 10.1017/S0033291711002820. Epub 2011 Dec 13.

Negative ion treatment increases positive emotional processing in seasonal affective disorder.
    [url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Harmer CJ[Author]&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22152099]Harmer CJ[/url]1

Author information

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Antidepressant drug treatments increase the processing of positive compared to negative affective information early in treatment. Such effects have been hypothesized to play a key role in the development of later therapeutic responses to treatment. However, it is unknown whether these effects are a common mechanism of action for different treatment modalities. High-density negative ion (HDNI) treatment is an environmental manipulation that has efficacy in randomized clinical trials in seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
    METHOD:
    The current study investigated whether a single session of HDNI treatment could reverse negative affective biases seen in seasonal depression using a battery of emotional processing tasks in a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized study.
    RESULTS:
    Under placebo conditions, participants with seasonal mood disturbance showed reduced recognition of happy facial expressions, increased recognition memory for negative personality characteristics and increased vigilance to masked presentation of negative words in a dot-probe task compared to matched healthy controls. Negative ion treatment increased the recognition of positive compared to negative facial expression and improved vigilance to unmasked stimuli across participants with seasonal depression and healthy controls. Negative ion treatment also improved recognition memory for positive information in the SAD group alone. These effects were seen in the absence of changes in subjective state or mood.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    These results are consistent with the hypothesis that early change in emotional processing may be an important mechanism for treatment action in depression and suggest that these effects are also apparent with negative ion treatment in seasonal depression.
    PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Publication Types, MeSH Terms, Substances, Grant Support

LinkOut - more resources

PubMed Commons home
    PubMed Commons
    0 comments
    How to join PubMed Commons

Last edited by iliketoplaywithexcrement on Fri May 09, 2014 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rich text fuckup)
    Maximus

Re: Negative ion treatment for depression

Post by Maximus on Sat May 10, 2014 10:55 am

The method didn't explain how it's administered. Should I cook my head in a mircowave whenever I feel gloomy?  

In like this, Sad out like this, sunny 
    iliketoplaywithexcrement

On further review--

Post by iliketoplaywithexcrement on Sun May 11, 2014 2:35 am

The rate of ion flow seems to be a big deal; there are a lot of scam units out there that don't output the necessary flow rate.

I came across this, they mention methodology:
             http://cet.org/eng/AirIonizer_ENG.html 

I also emailed the study lead at Oxford to see if she would recommend anything.
          http://www.psych.ox.ac.uk/team/PIs/catherine-harmer

Here's a meta - analysis:
    http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/196/art%253A10.1186%252F1471-244X-13-29.pdf?auth66=1399957827_3c1073f0251816e7e51cc6a07ea238ab&ext=.pdf
    Maximus

Post by Maximus on Sun May 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Recently, they discovered the correlation with consciousness (or the degree of self-awareness and self-control/volition) and high intensity brain waves. Basically, on the high end of the spectrum, you're conscious; on the low end, you're unaware, or unconscious or basically dead sleep.

Researchers applied electrical stimulation to the brain while patients were sleeping, and within triggered gamma-waves (the highest end of the conscious spectrum) and the patient began full-on lucid dreaming. http://www.livescience.com/45520-brain-zaps-trigger-lucid-dreams.html

Makes me wonder if depression, is more of a default state-of-mind by which the sufferer is mostly unaware (low brainwaves) and prone to emotion turbulence. That the electrical stimulation and/or ions trigger higher brainwaves (i.e. more executive control), which results in an increased ability to keep emotional disturbances in check.
    iliketoplaywithexcrement

Post by iliketoplaywithexcrement on Tue May 13, 2014 1:31 pm

iliketoplaywithexcrement

If not absolutely satisfied...

Post by iliketoplaywithexcrement on Tue May 13, 2014 1:34 pm

• 30 day no risk return
    Maximus

Post by Maximus on Tue May 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Wait a minute, these are air purifiers?
    iliketoplaywithexcrement

Post by iliketoplaywithexcrement on Tue May 13, 2014 1:58 pm

I think the flow rate has to be > than what you'd get at the Sharper Image or Skymall

(4.5x1014 ions/second)
    Maximus

Post by Maximus on Tue May 13, 2014 3:58 pm

Listen, if this is true, it would be fucking awesome. I would meditate in an ionized room daily.

Better yet, ionize your office and get productive

Or bedroom...fuck, your whole living space!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 am